Sunday, September 19, 2010

My Trip to Gino's

Gino's Italian Restaurant has been a fixture in Des Moines for years. Recently they opened a new location in West Glen replacing "Graze". It was late, and I wanted to try something new so I decided Gino's was the place to go. It was busy and my party and I weren't expecting to get in, but they had a table open so we got in. Right next to our table was a live music act. Frankly he was too loud, and the songs didn't suit my taste for a classic Italian restaurant. It was hard to have a conversation, and soon I developed a headache. Our waitress soon arrived with the menus. The only problem, it was so dark I could barely read the menu. I chose quickly and decided on the spaghetti and meatballs. Shortly after ordering, the dinner salads were brought out. I knew when I saw the salad it looked awfully wet and soggy. My first bite proved me right. It was the worst salad I've ever tasted. The salads at McDonald's are better than that sorry excuse. I refused to eat it and waited for the main course. I was hoping the famous red sauce would make up for the salad. The main course arrived about 45 minutes later. It looked very good and hopes were raised throughout my party. The first bite was fine. The sauce was, average. The meatballs, average. I didn't spend much time eating it, and soon it was boxed up with my Mom's food. The bill was around $50. The meal wasn't worth the cost. On a 5 star scale, Gino's earns a 2. The food wasn't anything to ride home about, and the atmosphere was dark with loud music, and the service was good. Overall, my trip to Gino's wasn't a good one.

1 comment:

  1. Young Iowa Food Critic - your blog is very well-written. Keep writing!

    ReplyDelete